Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Room for an Interview

A couple of weeks ago I sent an email to a recruiting agency stating that I am looking for an entry level position as an administration assistant. Two hours later I got a phone call that asked me if I could come into their offices for an interview and would I consider working for them. I got dressed up, bought the pointiest healed boots I could find, I made sure my hair was extra neat and smooth, no whispy bits anywhere. I imagined myself as a bubbly, outgoing , straight thinking young woman from Brighton who likes house beats and cosmopolitans, only. I considered my character's aim and desires for the upcoming scene. I was ready for a little impro.

And I went.

They put me in an empty room without without any magazines to read. I looked out the window at a beige-brown brick wall for a really long time, I thought of a lame joke to tell about the view but then thought better of it, this is serious. I looked at my reflection, but tried not to annalyse it too much. I got nervous and practised my Laban.

A knock at the door followed quickly by an entry of someone who looked just like me now. We did firm eye contact handshakes and everyone was very polite and smiley. I talked about a girl who likes working with people, under pressure, and gets excited by the word "TEAM". Another handshake and I'm in front of a computer doing a "Skills Test". PCs, are different to Macs, huh. Not to worry, they still love me... why?

Another handshake and I'm off to another office in a different street, in a similar room without any books or magazines. We talk really vaguely and in officey jargon about the job. I still have no idea what it is I actually do, but they promise me lots of training and social events. Handshake.

A few days later and I'm doing a "Psych Test" and a "Metric Test"*. I am supervised by a boy who looks like he's wearing his Dad's suit, but he gives me what I take as being a look of sympathy and says "awesome" everytime I answer a question, so I smile for him and we talk about the weather and how strange/intimidating the building is when it is all over. Handshake, slight stumble backwards.

Yesterday, another room, another interview. I spoke with many managers and other people in similar positions that I could soon be in. Everyone was just so nice, I felt as if I might be invited to go out out clubbing with them at any moment.

And that's how I got to be sitting at home, just waiting for the phone to ring, and slightly hoping in won't.

I am a little frightened of becoming a nobody in an office. A little frightened of becoming my mother.

Last night, Mum told me that she once studied Literature, Theatre, Film and Television at Uni, like me, but things happened and she had to give it up. I had not heard much of this before and I worry that these things might be genetic.









* I thought they might measure me here. Dissapointingly, it was just more questions.

1 comment:

Ms. Kasey said...

I am an administrative assistant. Just be sure that the job that you do does not incringe on your personal life. You can still go after your dreams working full time. I am in the process of publishing a book and I work full time, own a business with my ex husband, am a single mom of a son who is autistic. No I am not a miracle worker just someone who knows how to handle hopes, dreams and a job. :) Good Luck in what you are looking for.